Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Evasive Mistress

I woke up this morning feeling better. Which is good considering one rarely looks forward to waking up feeling worse. With my aching throat considerably releaved and my nasal passages surprisingly clear, I climbed down from the top bunk and set about getting dressed in the quiet morning dark. I have been in NY now for 1 month and 8 days, and up until this point, I have been avoiding writing about my experience here. I can't exactly explain why that is, except for the fact that there is so much. To be perfectly honest, I am so overwhelmed. There are so many daily, sometimes hourly stories, experiences, fears, hopes, struggles, miracles to share that I can't keep up. I'm sure that when I look back on this time I will be kicking myself for letting the finer details of these past days escape me. However, despite the lack of detail, through all of this I am being changed, refined, and at least for my own sake this is a process worth reflecting on.


 Based on my current experience with the Big Apple I would have to say that she is a temptingly evasive mistress. You know the kind that I am talking about. They catch your eye, laugh at your jokes, touch your sleave, give you their number and then on Monday when the weekend flirtation has passed and we are all pumpkins once more, refuses to take your call. And so for the rest of the week you have a bad taste in your mouth, or worse, no taste at all. You vow never again to be taken in by such a brazen tease until Friday night comes round once more and there she is- Everything you've ever wanted. She comes into the room and everything feels warm. She stands so close that you can smell the dream. Then the lovely lady orders her cosmo turns, stares, grins and the it's all over. In that moment you remember. You remember where you are and why you're there, Joy.

So, I got up this morning feeling better. I still need a permanent job and a place to stay, and an anxiety free day but that's ok because it's Friday. So, I put my clothes on in the quiet dark, grabbed my umbrella, and headed off to work eagerly anticipating my beautiful, gorgeous, flirtateous NY opportunity. She may have a few strikes against me, but that's ok because I am on to her and even though it's often times incredibly hard and discouraging I've got the most alluring quality of them all... patience.

"  I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry."- Psalm 40:1

5 comments:

  1. Love your writing! look forward to hearing more about new york. My 2 best friends live right outside the city in Hoboken so if you need anything let me know!
    Kelli Fritz Marlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfully written Becky. Think of you often and send up a little prayer. Hope your weekend is full of joy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep writing as I now plan on living my new York dream through your blog. It's like sex in the city, but for a struggling actor. And your title is pretty cool too. Frank

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful writing. thank you so much for taking the time to put your thoughts down. i love reading it. take care. i'm praying for you. love, leah

    ReplyDelete
  5. FINALLY! But like any virgin...worth the wait. love you and your writing. beautiful.

    ReplyDelete